back when sid and nancy were punk royalty

A (mis)match made in hell?




Sid Vicious
and Nancy Spungen
were a sort of punk royalty back in the late 70's ("Punk royalty"? -- What an oxymoron. But that's what they were called in a documentary on love gone wrong). Sid was the (rather untalented) bassist of legendary Brit punk band Sex Pistols. Nancy was an American groupie, allegedly a former hooker.

Their love was high on heroin and controversy. People around them seemed to agree that they were horrible for each other, but they just had this psychotic dependency thing going on and they stayed together. The romance ended in her murder (still a mystery) and his suicide (which turns out to be assisted by his mother). In his suicide note, he mentioned...


We made a death pact, and I have to accomplish my part of the deal. Please bury me next to my baby. Please bury me with my leather jacket, my jeans and my biker boots. Goodbye. With love, Sid. 

Forget Romeo and Juliet. Ain't Sid and Nancy's tale of woe a modern romantic tragedie, in a twisted, demented Mayerling sort of way?



Though probably found repulsive by those close to them, their sick love story (if you can call it that) would seem so romantic to those who watch from a safe distance.

I don't typically enjoy tragedies, but I find theirs intriguing. Though I was only a little over a year old when Vicious died, for some reason I grew up with an idea of who he was and who the Sex Pistols were. For that matter, the name "Sid Vicious" is one of my favorite stage names ever; it's so freaking cool, I wish I'd thought of it.

A Sid and Nancy movie was made in 1986. I haven't seen it yet but I heard Gary Oldman was awesome in that one.

Just a tangent: It's calamitous when a rock star dies young, especially someone so iconic or talented. But there's something fortunate about it too - they instantly turn into legends, like those in the Forever 27 Club.  Besides, they wouldn't have to publicly age and fizzle out into rickety, old rock stars. I.m.h.o., it's kinda painfully to see an ancient punk rocker still all defiant and deviant at grandfather age. Have you seen Sid's former bandmate Johnny Rotten  lately?
A little bonus. I stumbled upon a series of Doc Martens ads featuring dead punk icons like Joey Ramone and Kurt Cobain. Here's the one with Sid Vicious:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...