monday music trip:
in a big country [ BIG COUNTRY ]








For all the fashion faux-pas and too-painful-to-re-watch performances associated with the decade, there were a lot of gnarly things about the 1980s.  Such as Brit post-pop and intense concerts like this one.

Snippette from Wiki:
Big Country are a Scottish rock band born out of Dunfermline, Fife. They were most popular in the early to mid-1980s, but they still release material for a cult following. The band were notable for music infused with Scottish folk and martial music styles, as well as for playing and engineering their guitar driven sound to evoke the inspirational spirit of bagpipes, fiddles and other traditional folk instruments.


I'm not sure how big Big Country was here, but they apparently had - and still have - a following at some other part of the world.  I like the upbeat '80s new wave sound combined with bagpipey guitars.

About this single.  I guess I was too young to appreciate it when was released in 1983, and I suppose I hadn't heard of it until a few later after because I'm not Scottish. Still I have an attachment to it because it's linked to a memory I have of an inter-school cheering competition my high school participated in back in 1993, where we won gold and all went home ecstatic.
.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...