back when "a loaf of bread, a container of milk and a stick of butter" became a mantra

Another snip from Sesame Street.





I'm not sure if this was supposed to teach its preschool audience anything, but I guess it taught a basic memorization skill: repetition.   I leaned how to remember alright - I repeated a loaf of bread, a container of milk and a stick of butter over and over like a rhythmic mantra, even days after. I didn't know what a container was yet at that age, so I kept saying "a potato milk" until my dad explained the word (so in effect, I also learned a new word from this animated short). 

Apparently a lot of other kids my age were similarly hypnotized by a loaf of bread, a container of milk and a stick of butter, that it also stuck to their minds over three decades later.

Take a look at this shirt design inspired by the Sesame Street segment.  Clever.  ^_^
.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...